Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Every Ceremony Brand New

I have been to many religious services presided over by other Celebrants that were lovely.  There are some individuals who find great comfort in routine.  If you are with a certain religious denomination all of the Funeral ceremonies are similar.
My ceremonies start from scratch each time.  I have had enough experience with both religious and non religious families to put together a reverent and beautiful experience for the families of the departed.
All ceremonies start with the initial consultation which consists of a practice I call "active listening."  Once a Pastor enters the sacred space of the grieving there is no agenda, it is a time for getting to know the family and their history with the departed.
When called upon the first thing I asked the Funeral Director is if there is an Obituary up on their website yet so I can see a photograph of the loved one.  I never start writing anything about the ceremony without first having a picture and building a connection with the deceased.
Secondly, there has to be a gentle exploration of the deceased and their relationship to whomever is making arrangements for them.  People in a state of grief need a Clergy with a patient heart and enough wisdom to sort through history and focus on what is the most inspiring, meaningful and comforting.
I am often asked if I preside over Wedding ceremonies and my answer is "no, never."  Every Pastor has his or her calling, mine is to comfort the bereaved.  I am blessed immeasurably to be trusted with honoring the lives of those whose memory I am entrusted.

Rev Lee Catalano

No comments:

Post a Comment